Peer Reviewed Journal Articles & Reports
- S. Karthick Ramakrishnan and Allan Colbern. 2015. “The California Package: Immigrant Integration and the Evolving Nature of State Citizenship,” Policy Matters 6:3 (1-19).
- Under Review:
- Colbern, Allan. “Runaway Slaves and the Federalism Conflict: A Reappraisal, 1780-1860.”
- Colbern, Allan. “Regulating Movement in a Federalist System: Slavery's Connection to Immigration Law in the United States.”
- Colbern, Allan and S. Karthick Ramakrishnan. “Immigrant Inclusion and Subfederal Citizenship in the United States.”
- Colbern, Allan and S. Karthick Ramakrishnan. 2016. “State Policies on Immigrant Integration: An Examination of Best Practices and Policy Diffusion,” UCR School of Public Policy Working Paper Series (1-20).
- Colbern, Allan. (Forthcoming, 2016). “State of the Scholarship: Immigrant Integration in California, 1848- 2015.” Center for Comparative Immigration Studies Working Paper, University of California, San Diego.
- Colbern, Allan. 2015. “American Political Development’s Approach to Conceptualization, And Why This Matters for Mainstream Political Science,” Clio Newsletter of Politics & History (APSA), 25, 2 (Summer).
Op-Eds and Blog Posts
- Colbern, Allan. 2015. “Sanctuaries for “Illegals” have historically been good for American Democracy.” Politics of Color. September 22.
- Colbern, Allan. 2015. “The House Is Picking a Fight with ‘sanctuary City’ Ordinances. How Is This like the Fugitive Slave Laws?” The Monkey Cage. August 13.
- S. Karthick Ramakrishnan and Allan Colbern. 2015. “Immigration Reform: ‘The California Package.’” Los Angeles Times, June 24, sec. Op-Ed.
- Colbern, Allan. (Forthcoming, 2016). “Immigrant Criminality and its Parallel to Southern Fear of Slave Insurrections.” Politics of Color.
Works in Progress
Book Manuscripts in Preparation
- Colbern, Allan. "Today’s Runaway Slaves: Unauthorized Immigrants in a Federalist Framework"
- Colbern, Allan and S. Karthick Ramakrishnan. “Immigrant Integration and State Citizenship in America”
- Colbern, Allan. “Runaway Slaves, the Right to ‘Free Presence’ and State Citizenship in the Free North.”
- Colbern, Allan. “Immigrant ‘Sanctuary’ Before (1970-1986) and After (2000-2015) New Immigration Federalism.”
- Colbern, Allan. “Slavery's Immigration Function: Explaining Variation in State Level Restrictions on Blacks’ Freedom of Movement in the South, 1640-1860.”
- Colbern, Allan. “Show Me Your Papers: Race and the Development of America’s Passport and Visa Regime, 1782- 1926.”
Select Media Coverage
- Mason, Melanie. 2015. “California Gives Immigrants Here Illegally Unprecedented Rights, Benefits, Protections.” Los Angeles Times, August 11.
- Miller, Bettye. 2015. “California Leads the Way on Immigration Reform, State Citizenship.” UCR Today. June 15.
- Diep, Francie. 2015. “A New Way of Thinking About Citizenship for Immigrants.” Pacific Standard, June 16, sec. Politics & Law
- “California Leads the Way on Immigration Reform, State Citizenship.” 2015. Newswise. June 12.